Andy's observations as he continues to attempt to know all that is .NET...

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Pfx team examples moving into the real world

I’ve written many articles on my blog about how Im sick of trade show demos of Pfx ( Parallel framework extensions ).  You know the ones using simple Parallel.For with Thread.Sleep or Thread.SpinWait as the piece of work.  These examples scale wonderfully but the moment people take those simple examples and apply them to their own for loops terrible performance often results.  Thankfully the Pfx team have written a blog article offering some suggestions about what to do when the piece of work inside the for loop is too small. ( Blog article ).  Interesting this is the first time I’ve seen them utilise the number of processors in the machine to determine the number of tasks, something I’ve advocated many times in the past for tasks of equal cost. 

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Im a freelance consultant for .NET based technology. My last real job, was at Cisco System were I was a lead architect for Cisco's identity solutions. I arrived at Cisco via aquisition and prior to that worked in small startups. The startup culture is what appeals to me, and thats why I finally left Cisco after seven years.....I now filll my time through a combination of consultancy and teaching for Developmentor...and working on insane startups that nobody with an ounce of sense would look twice at...