Andy's observations as he continues to attempt to know all that is .NET...

Thursday, July 23, 2009

My First Silverlight 3 App

Had a brief rest from patterns and parallel stuff to have a quick play with Silverlight 3.  I mainly wanted to see the out of browser aspect, as I think the idea of being able to build RIA that also run on the desktop is very compelling….

So what to build, I really like the iPhone weather app so I thought I’d have a go at reproducing it in Silverlight, below is a screen shot showing it running out of the browser.

image

I’m using isolated storage to store the list of weather centre’s of interest, a more typical line of business app would store app config on the web server/cloud and potentially locally to support true client roaming, but I’ll leave that for another day.

One thing to note is that the method for enabling Out Of Browser mode for you application is now different from pre-release versions of Silverlight 3, so there are many old blog posts that are unfortunately wrong now.  The good news is now it is trivial, view the project properties, and under the Silverlight tab there is an option to enable the app to support out of browser.  This then creates the OutOfBrowserSettings.xml file.

image

You can download the source via here or to just see the app in action click here.  I’ll let you decide if its as cool as the iPhone….

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Im a freelance consultant for .NET based technology. My last real job, was at Cisco System were I was a lead architect for Cisco's identity solutions. I arrived at Cisco via aquisition and prior to that worked in small startups. The startup culture is what appeals to me, and thats why I finally left Cisco after seven years.....I now filll my time through a combination of consultancy and teaching for Developmentor...and working on insane startups that nobody with an ounce of sense would look twice at...